Today’s recipe is a traditional sweet snack from Kerala, Gluten-free Rice Banana Snacks, known as thamukku in Malayalam. This sweet is even served as an offering to God in some christian churches in Kerala. I just love this snacks since childhood. Thamukku can be served with or without banana.
The recipe uses Kerala matta rice, that is the parboiled red rice. Usually jaggery is used for sweetness. But I don’t have jaggery now. So this gluten-free snack is made with sugar. If you have jaggery, you can use that. Any banana can be used in this snack.
First we will make a flour with fried rice. You can make this flour in large quantity and store for later so that you can just mix all ingredients when you are busy to prepare a fast snack. Amma used to make small balls like laddu which we call ariyunda using the same ingredients but without banana. But in Thamukku, we use any banana or plantain.
Gluten-free Rice Banana Snack – Thamukku Recipe
Thamukku - A Gluten-free snacks
- 1 cup Red Matta Rice
- 4-5 Cardamom
- 1.5 cups Shredded Coconut
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 2 Bananas (or plantain)
- Wash the rice 3 to 4 times. Heat a pan and dry fry the rice with stirring for 10-15 minutes or until they starts to pop up (looks some what like popcorn). Add cardamom to the rice and mix well.
- Now remove from heat and let it cool
- When completely cooled, Grind well in a mixer to make a fine flour. Transfer this to a bowl.
- Add the coconut and sugar to the bowl. Squeeze and mix well with hands.
- After mixing you can feel that the flour has become wet. Now slice the banana into small pieces and add to the mix. Toss the banana slices just to cover it with the mix. Let it sit covered for 2-3 minutes.
- Your Gluten-free snack is ready. Serve with tea and enjoy.
- Make sure not to burn the rice. Also keep the pan covered when the rice starts to pop to keep yourself safe from burning.
- Usually jaggery is used instead of sugar for sweetness. You can use grated / powdered jaggery or jaggery syrup (click for video recipe) for sweet.
- You can make the rice flour in large quantities and store in an air tight container for later use.
Thamukku is a healthy, gluten free and oil free snacks recipe everyone can try at home. Let the traditional recipes stay alive for generations and let our children know the taste of every region. Prepare this snack for your wonderful family.
Try other Kerala snack recipes
|Deep Fried Rice Bread
|Caramelized Plantain Bites
|Jaggery Coated Plantain Chips