Caramel pudding was one fancy dessert I experienced as a child. Till then, the only desserts we ever knew was ice-creams and payasam (kheer). We first experienced this wonderful dessert while on a visit to my aunt’s in-laws. The dessert with a bitter sweet flavor won everyone’s taste buds.
My amma got the recipe from my aunt. She grabbed the recipe may be because it was eggless (we were allergic to eggs in childhood). Or may be because she can make us have milk, especially me, as i was not that fond of drinking milk.
From the day, we got the fancy dessert, caramel pudding, more often. After all, it just need some of the basic ingredients available in any kitchen. The process may seem difficult to you. But I assure you, this is one of the easiest dessert recipe you will make with these ingredients. Basically there are only 4 steps.
- Making the milk pudding
- Make the caramel
- Combine and steam/ bake
You are done. Now let’s go to the recipe.
Caramel Pudding – Easy Eggless Flan Recipe
Caramel Pudding - Easy Eggless Flan Recipe
For Pudding/ flan
- 2.5 cups of Milk
- 4 tbsp All purpose flour (maida)
- 5 tbsp Sugar
- ¼ tsp Mace powder (nutmeg flower) , optional
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 4 tbsp sugar
- Mix the all purpose flour in half cup milk. Stir well to avoid any lumps. Keep aside.
- Mix the remaining milk, mace powder and sugar in a thick bottomed pan. Cook on medium heat to boil.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add the milk mixed with all purpose flour (maida) to this hot milk with stirring. Keep stirring until the milk thickens and starts to boil.
- Remove from heat. Keep aside to cool down. When completely cooled, add a tsp of vanilla essence and mix well.
- By the time, the pudding is cooling, prepare the caramel.
- For that, take sugar in a heavy bottomed sauce pan. Cook on medium to low heat as there are chances of burning. Do not stir the sugar with spoon or sugar.
- When the sugar starts to change the color to golden brown, reduce the heat to low. If you are going to use the same pan for making the pudding, gently swirl the pan to spread the caramel equally on all parts. Once all the sugar is dissolved, remove from heat. Continue to swirl until the caramel starts to harden.
- If you are going to make the pudding in another bowl or mould, then transfer the caramel to the desired mould as soon as it changes the color. Since the caramel hardens very fast you have to do this very fast.
- When the caramel is hardened, spread the milk pudding on top of it.
- Boil water in a steamer. Place the pudding pan or the mould in the steamer and steam cook for 5 minutes. You can also bake the pudding instead of steaming.
- Remove from heat. Keep to cool down. When completely cooled, refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Invert the pudding into a serving bowl to make the caramel layer visible. This step is optional.
- Serve cold. Enjoy the yummy mouth watering sweet.
- Always use a heavy bottom pan to avoid the chances of burning.
- Maze, the red flower like portion of nutmeg is an optional ingredient with a strong flavor. You can avoid if you are not comfortable with strong flavors. If you are using maze, use in small amounts.
- While spreading the pudding, the caramel layer must be hard. Otherwise both caramel and milk mixture will get mixed up and you will not get the layer effect.
- You can steam or bake the pudding. This is just a heating process to melt the hard caramel layer below. So the oven temperature is not important. Just bake in a hot oven for 5 minutes.
When it comes to food, specifically desserts, foreign or native doesn’t matter. Call it by any name- pudding, flan, creme caramel, quesillo- what matter’s is the taste of the dish. And the egg-free version with nutmeg flavor is more delicious than the egg cramel pudding. You also will have some fancy dish that you relished the most from childhood and I would like to hear about it.
More Dessert Recipes
|Carrot Orange Halwa
|Candied Plantain in Orange Syrup